Welcome to my blog! I'm Sari, a mother of a 2 year old girl and 7 year old boy/girl twins. I started this blog 6 years ago when I started using cloth diapers. If you scroll back to the earlier posts, you can see my learning adventure with the twins, there's a lot of really helpful information if you are interested in cloth diapers. I hope that this can be a valuable source of information for other moms contemplating making the switch to cloth diapers and/or making their own diapers.

Now I'm using this as more of a general "mom blog". I'm crafty, I like to bake and I'm currently a group fitness instructor and a Beachbody coach. I may plug my own business every so often (click here!), but I will expand my topics to cover basically anything that I feel like writing about - experiences I have or products that I think deserve a review (both good and bad). If I'm getting paid or benefiting in any way then that will be mentioned in the post.

Do you have a product that you would like me to try and review? Send me an email

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Velcro vs. Snaps

First off, it's not called Velcro because Velcro is what they call a genericized trademark. Velcro is a popular brand name for what is generically called a hook-and-loop fastener. For example, I don't ask my husband to bring me a "Puffs" even though that's the brand name of tissue that we use. I ask for a Kleenex, even though Puffs are clearly not made by the Kleenex people. Well, that's what happened with Velcro, and Band-Aid, and Q-tip, and (believe it or not) Escalator! Can you imagine asking a sales person in a department store where the "moving staircase" is? Now I've wandered off topic...

OK, so Velcro. For cloth diapers, the brand names of choice for hook-and-loop fasteners are Aplix and Touch Tape. I've read that using actual Velcro is a no-no because it isn't strong enough to hold up to the vigorous washing demands of CDs. I'm not sure where to buy either of them, but there are many websites out there that sell supplies for making cloth diapers. Aplix and Touch Tape are preferable by many because it's so easy to use and it's very similar to disposable diapers. However, many toddlers have no problem figuring out how to take these diapers off. Hook-and-loop fasteners might be best for younger infants.

The popular alternatives to hook-and-loop fasteners are poly resin snaps. These are PVC-free plastic snaps that come in every color imaginable, although the most popular color for cloth diapers is white. The snaps allow for a more baby-proof system of closure, yet are still easy to use. It sounds to me like snaps would be a better choice, but I have yet to try them out myself so don't go by me.

Since I plan on making my diapers with snaps, I had to research what I would need to apply the snaps myself. In order to attach the resin snaps to diapers, you need either a snap press or snap pliers. Snap presses run upwards of $60 plus you have to buy attachments depending on what size snap you use. The most common size for making diapers is size 20. With a little more searching, I discovered that you can also buy a pair of snap pliers for around $30 that don't require any extra pieces. These pliers also come with a sample pack of snaps. Unfortunately, you can only get these pliers at this price from one source, and there is quite a waiting list. They are sold by a woman named Serena through this yahoo group. It may take a few days (or weeks!) before she accepts you into the group and you may have to reapply. I applied 3 days ago and I'm still waiting. It looks like I will have to wait a while longer because it now says that she is closed to orders. I'll post an update when I have one. In the meantime, you can see the products she offers here, or you can check out her eBay listings. Keep in mind that the prices on her eBay packages will be slightly higher due to the fact that she has to pay listing fees and commissions.

Remember, I have not actually seen the insides of this yahoo group, nor have I ordered anything from Serena myself, so I can't recommend her personally. However, I keep reading great things about her and these snap pliers. She also sells the more expensive snap presses.

No comments: