Welcome to my blog! I'm Sari, a mother of a 2 year old girl and 7 year old boy/girl twins. I started this blog 6 years ago when I started using cloth diapers. If you scroll back to the earlier posts, you can see my learning adventure with the twins, there's a lot of really helpful information if you are interested in cloth diapers. I hope that this can be a valuable source of information for other moms contemplating making the switch to cloth diapers and/or making their own diapers.

Now I'm using this as more of a general "mom blog". I'm crafty, I like to bake and I'm currently a group fitness instructor and a Beachbody coach. I may plug my own business every so often (click here!), but I will expand my topics to cover basically anything that I feel like writing about - experiences I have or products that I think deserve a review (both good and bad). If I'm getting paid or benefiting in any way then that will be mentioned in the post.

Do you have a product that you would like me to try and review? Send me an email

Friday, May 15, 2009

Bum Genius 3.0 One Size Pocket - Review

I bought 2 of these diapers, one blue and one pink, both the limited edition with the fleece insides. I do not believe that they are true one size diapers. They fit well on both of my twins on the largest setting. My son is about 22 pounds and 31.5 inches. My daughter is about 25 pounds and 32.5 inches. Both are pretty slender and do not have chunky thighs. I have no idea how this diaper would fit a child of 30 lbs plus, but I guess it's possible if they just get taller and don't necessarily get chunkier.

I imagine that you could fit this diaper on a newborn, but it would be seriously bulky. Both diapers came with two microfiber inserts, one large one with snaps to make it smaller, and one smaller infant sized insert. In the mornings I use both inserts with my daughter because she is a super soaker in the mornings. In the afternoon I would just use the larger insert. On my son, I use the larger insert, but sometimes I snap the end of it so that there is extra padding in the front. I haven't had a single leak with these diapers. I also have not worn them out of the house or during naps or overnight yet.

The Aplix hasn't been a problem. The first time I put them on they both tried to undo them, but since then they have lost interest. I've heard that it doesn't hold up too well after multiple washings, but so far we're OK. I've only washed them a handful of times though.

Update 6/26/09: The aplix is still holding up well. Bum Genius has changed their washing instructions and now recommend that you line dry their diapers. I guess people were having problems with the dryer ruining the aplix. I still put mine in the dryer (on low) and my aplix looks like new. However, I was having some stink issues with the BG fleece. I couldn't get the pee smell out of the fleece no matter how many times I rinsed it and washed it, unless I scrubbed them by hand in the sink, which was not fun. After much googling and frustration I finally added a small scoop of oxyclean to my 17 minute pre-wash (no detergent). Then I ran a regular cycle with an extra rinse (another 40 minutes) and the diapers came out smelling quite fresh!

1 comment:

Thais said...

I use these for night time w/ both inserts and a hemp doubler. Connor is 32lbs and they're starting to be too small for him. But they fit well and I haven't ever had any leaks w/ them.